The Ellis Island immigration station opened in 1892 and closed in 1954. The Main Building containing the Great Hall opened in 1900. In addition to the immigration buildings there was also a large hospital facility on the island operated by the United States Public Health Service. After 1954 the buildings remained abandoned and in 1966 the buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Immigration Museum was opened in 1990 after extensive renovation. These photographs were taken between 1975 and 1976.